Thursday, April 26, 2012

The New and the Constant


We have a new hymnal coming out in our denomination this year.  It will have over 800 hymns of all types, contemporary and traditional.  It will be available electronically, so people can use their iPads, other tablets, or e-readers in worship.  It will be the size of our current hymnal but lighter in weight, even with more hymns.

One of the beautiful new hymns to any of our hymnals is “O Christ, Surround Me” by Richard Bruxvoort Colligan.  It is based on Patrick’s Breastplate, an ancient Celtic hymn.  In addition, some beloved “oldies” will be included like “Leaning On the Everlasting Arms.”

At a morning devotional recently, these two were sung by those gathered.  They are reassuring in times of tumult, change, and fear.  “Remember I am with you always to the end of the age,” says Jesus.  Perhaps the words will be a prayer for you this day.

Leaning On the Everlasting Arms
What a fellowship, what a joy divine, leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine, leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way, leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day, leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear, leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near, leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

O Christ, Surround Me
God, be the love to search and keep me; God, be the prayer to move my voice;
God, be the strength to now uphold me; O Christ, surround me, O Christ, surround me.

Bind to myself the Name of Holy, great cloud of witnesses enfold;
prophets, apostles, angels witness. O Christ, surround me, O Christ, surround me.

Brightness of sun and glow of moonlight; flashing of lightning, strength of wind,
depth of the sea to soil of planet: O Christ, surround me, O Christ, surround me.

Walking behind to hem my journey, going ahead to light my way,
and from beneath, above and all ways, O Christ, surround me, O Christ, surround me.

Christ in the eyes of all who see me, Christ in the ears that hear my voice,
Christ in the hearts of all who know me: O Christ, surround me, O Christ, surround me.


May we all lean on and be surrounded by our beloved Christ,

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment